Monday, 17 December 2007

New York City Star Power

The Washington Post did a feature article in the Science section this weekend about the guy I want to be when I grow up. I've probably already talked the ears off of most of you about him because he is so stellar.

Yes, I'm not ashamed to go there.

His name is Neil de Grasse Tyson and he is the head of the Hayden Planetarium. Now I know when most of you think of a planetarium, you perhaps have flashes of elementary school field trips to a dark, grungy auditorium with tilt back seats where you fell asleep while some boring old guy lectured you on the constellations. Let me assure you, the Hayden smashes all those stereotypes to bits...to bits.

It is housed in the Rose Center for Earth and Space, a wing of the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. If you are anywhere within the radius of a reasonable day trip, this is a must. And it's 'must visit' status is in large part due to Dr. Tyson's overhaul of the Hayden back in 2000. Not only is the building itself fabulous - a cavernous glass atrium housing a massive spherical planetarium known as the Hayden sphere - the museum also offers an endless series of fantastic public programs for every age. And if neither of those get you, Dr. Tyson will. I could wax on and on about it, but instead I'm just going to challenge you to prove me wrong.

Read all about Dr. Tyson and his mad astrophysics skills here through the first link and start planning your visit to the Hayden Planetarium.

And remember all you just read when you come to visit me in New York and I show you my awesome office at the Hayden, down the hall from Dr. Tyson.

No comments: